Current research interests include:
- How does élite discourse influence immigration policy?
- Can migration flows really be conceived of as a simple supply-and-demand process?
- How do countries reconcile the need for cheap labor with exclusionary immigration policy?
- How is “belonging” constructed within the supranational system?
- Has the breakdown of national borders within the EU affected perceptions of European immigrants?
- Has EU membership improved the economies of member states and reduced emigration?
- What policies may help wealthy countries reverse their declining demographics?
- How will the welfare state in Europe survive with aging populations and shrinking workforces?
- What role do social networks play in developing locations into immigrant destinations?
- How do social networks work to transmit information transnationally?